Nov 18 2016 In Ask the Herbalist By Kenneth Roberts
The Immune-Boosting Herbal Miracle - Astragalus
In traditional Asian medicine, Astragalus is a star component of many classic herbal formulations. It’s a powerhouse for the immune system but also supports numerous internal organs including the spleen, liver, lungs, respiratory system, circulatory system and urinary system. It is considered an overall body tonic.
Astragalus is used in our Defense Boost WellTeaing herbal blend because of its amazing immune-stimulating effects as well as for its ability to facilitate the production of white blood cells. Specifically, it boosts T-Cell 1 & 2 production, which are known to not only stimulate the immune response but also the natural production of antibodies and antigens that are a crucial part of the immune response. Astragalus has been shown to help patients receiving chemo therapies to recover more quickly and extend the longevity and quality of their lives.
Having adaptogenic qualities makes astragalus a versatile herb to use for a variety of issues.
- Antibacterial and antiviral qualities make it great for healing the common cold or flu, and it can even be used as a topical remedy for healing open sores or wounds.
- Supports healing from chronic viral hepatitis through liver support and reducing damage to the liver tissue.
- Helpful in the treatment of diabetes by balancing blood sugar levels.
- Free radical protection, functioning much like an antioxidant.
- Slows the aging process by reducing stress on cells.
- May help athletes utilize oxygen better, thereby helping recovery after workouts and supporting energy levels during them.
- Helpful in treating kidney disease by helping the kidneys process cortisol and other inflammatories present in the blood.
- Lessens the severity of seasonal allergies by reducing inflammation of the mucus membrane of the sinuses.
- Because it is high in iron, it may help in the treatment of anemia.
If you are feeling constantly fatigued, stressed out, chronically ill, or need immune support, astragalus is an ancient treasure that can be a star in your lineup for longevity and a healthy lifestyle.