Jun 12 2020 In Tea Journal By Mai-Anh & Emily
Standing with our Black and LGBTQIA+ tea family
Happy Loving Day! From June 12th to June 26th, 2020, Discover Teas will be donating 15% of our sales (before shipping and sales tax) to the National Black Justice Coalition, bail funds, and campaigns against police brutality. On Juneteenth (June 19), we will increase this donation to 25% of the day's sales.
As a business founded on love for the community, it is part of our mission to support the Black lives who are far too often marginalized by our society. LGBTQIA+ lives, especially those of Black LGBTQIA+ people, are also too often marginalized. Those within these intersections are at a far greater risk of violence and discrimination than the majority of our community, and they deserve our support.
Why these dates? On June 12 in 1967, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down laws banning interracial marriage in the United States in Loving v. Virginia.
On June 26th, 2015, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality in Obergefell v. Hodges. Other cases essential in the fight for marriage equality and freedom were also decided on June 26.
And on June 19th, 1865, over two and a half years after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation, Union soldiers arrived in Texas, the last slave state, and announced the freedom of enslaved people throughout the United States.
Learn more about these key dates at the following links:
Learn more about some of the organizations we support at the following links:
For ways that you can help or learn more, please see these links:
- Ways You Can Help by Nico
- Protest Options: A List of Links to Petitions, Donations, Resources and Education by Jessie Davis and members of the UC San Diego Student Sustainability Collective
- Immediate Action Items, author/compiler unknown
- Anti-racism Resource Guide by Tasha K.
- Anti-Racism Resources by Sarah Sophie Flicker, Alyssa Klein
And please consider supporting some of our local Black-owned business friends:
- Alkalicious Cold-Pressed Juice Bar
- Black Please Coffee & Shirts
- Culture Coffee & Tea Bar
- Inevitable Growth Life Coaching & Consulting
- Jessi Kate Creates
- Logic Fitness Club
- MK, a Greeting Card Company
- N-Vision Designs
- Soulful Journey
- Words to Ponder Publishing and Children's Books
"When starting Discover Teas, I was intent on building a business based on Love, sharing that love, finding Purpose in that sharing, making a difference in the world, and being a force for good in the community."—Chris Farishon, Discover Teas Founder